Tuesday 6 September 2011

Cooking!!

My chosen activity to discuss is cooking, as it is something which I do regularly, and normally I enjoy cooking.
In class we were asked to write for a couple of minutes about our experience or thoughts on our chosen activity, this is what I had;
I participate in cooking dinner most nights at the moment, however I enjoy baking more than cooking, but I don't do baking as much, because I have limited time, and it is not as much of a necessity.
I consider the meal planning and the clean up required all part of the cooking, and cooking to me is preparing or making anything that can be consumed, therefore baking is a form of cooking.
I began cooking when I was young and used to cook most of the family dinners when I was about 11, however I feel as though I was a more competent cook then, than as I am now as I never cooked throughout high school because I was not required too. My favorite things to cook are foods that I enjoy eating, and are quite fast to make, like burgers or wraps.


Now I must participate in cooking for at least 2 hours each week, this has some practical considerations which must be taken into account. 
 - Firstly time, two hours a week would be considered a long time for some occupations, but cooking is something which is done daily, and over a week it will easily add up to 2 hours. 
 - The second consideration is the budget. As I am being more mindful when I am planning and cooking my meals I may feel like cooking different things which will increase my budget. I will need to need to be mindful of costs when planning meals, and only have expensive meals on special occasions to keep to my budget. Generally food that costs the least to cook, isn't as good for you, and it is the same with time, often it takes longer, and more energy, and creates more dishes to cook meals that are better for you. 
 - The resources, as we have a small kitchen will hardly any storage space, we do not have much of a range of equipment, this will limit some of the baking that can be done in the kitchen, as I am not going to make a pavlova with a whisk. We also have a shortage of oven trays and dishes which needs to be taken into account when planning a dinner. 


Posted 06/08/2011

1 comment:

  1. Wow Charlotte, I can tell you know a lot about cooking! You seem to have a lot of knowledge that you can explain well in text but have you thought about a reference to add it?

    ReplyDelete